Saturday, June 7, 2014

Caving in

Better late than never I suppose. I'm taking the plunge and will try to update this on a semi regular basis for those of you who are curious as to what I am up to. For those of you who don't know me or just met me, my name is Thomas and I am living on the road in my Volkswagen van named Bertha with my Australian Cattle Dog BB. How did I end up in this predicament? Well...about a year ago I found myself about 9 months away from being honorably discharged from 7 years of active duty Army service and trying to decide what path my life should take. Most people in my situation would probably be hunting for a job or applying to school but most people aren't me. Those options sound too boring to me. I was bitten by the travel bug while stationed in Germany and I decided that I needed to travel and experience the country I devoted 7 years of my life to serving. I also wanted to incorporate my skills as a diesel technician and my new found love of rock climbing into my plan and then the light bulb turned on: take a Westfalia Volkswagen camper van, insert a diesel engine into aforementioned Volkswagen, sell all my possessions, pack my climbing gear in the van, and hit the road to find the best climbing destinations in the states. I have already documented the process of converting my Volkswagen to diesel and that can be found HERE.

I was discharged from the Army in Fort Knox Kentucky on 25 April 2014, and that's where this journey begins. Obviously it is now June so I will have some catching up to do but for now here are a few pics from along the way...

The End of Canada in Nova Scotia

Say hello to BB
The Thinking Man on top of High E
The "Desperate" top out on High E
9 Corners Lake in the Adirondacks
Wisconsin Sunset
Devil's Lake Wisconsin...Can you find BB?
"How bad is this pitch going to kick my ass?"
Answer: quite thoroughly
Rewarding view from up above

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome...

    Keep posting when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome bro. Get the most out of life god knows you deserve it

    ReplyDelete